DRAFT

(For amendments, please see the minutes of the next meeting when available.)


BURNTISLAND COMMUNITY COUNCIL

FRIDAY, 9 November 2012

7 P.M.

Upper Library Hall

 

Minutes
  

 

PRESENT:               

Alex MacDonald (Chair), Bob Smith (Vice Chair),

Isabel Smith (Secretary), John Russell (Treasurer), Gordon Langlands (Minutes Secretary),

John Bruce, Gary Cummins, Christine Dewar, Morag Douglas, Tim Hailey, Ian McKenzie,

Ed Pybus (Part-Time), Bruce Stuart, Zoe Williamson.

 

Bill Kirkhope (Burgh Buzz).

 

Cllr Peter George, Cllr Susan Leslie (Part-Time).

 

ATTENDING: 11 members of the public

 

ABSENT: Neil Millsop.

 

1.    Chairman’s Opening Remarks and Apologies for Absence

     The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and informed the meeting that no apologies had been received.

 

2.    Minutes of Previous Meeting (12 October 2012)

     Correction to Minutes:

     The next Police Engagement Meeting is on Wednesday 14th November not 12th November.    

     Minutes agreed, proposed by Bob Smith and seconded by Christine Dewar.

 

3.    Notification of Community Concerns for A.O.B.  (Item 8)

     The Chairman indicated 3 items for A.O.B.

 

4.    Police Community Meeting Report – C. Dewar/J. Bruce.

Next community Engagement Meeting, Wednesday 14 November, 7.30 pm, Toll Centre.

 

5.    Secretary’s and Treasurer’s Reports

5.1.   The Secretary indicated there was nothing to report.

5.2.   The Treasurer indicated a free balance of £2,689.48. See Appendix 1.

 

6.    Environment.

 

6.1.   147 Kinghorn Road.

A.MacDonald met on-site with Bob Wilkie in an attempt to mediate.

6.1.1.      This is actually a building site with plans for flats

    which were rejected as the flats were too near the protected tree.

6.1.2.      Bob Wilkie is resubmitting plans.

6.1.3.      The Electrical substation is to be moved.

6.1.4.      Materials on the site are mostly fenced off.

6.1.5.      A wall is missing exposing its foundations.

6.1.6.      Fife Council has issued an enforcement order.

6.1.7.      Bob Wilkie has stated he will tidy up the site.

6.1.8.      Fife Council has removed the old lamp post

    and installed a new one in a different location.

 

6.2.   Environmental Report J.Bruce. See Appendix 2.

New Issues identified:

6.2.1.              James Park to Dallas Avenue Stairs.

6.2.2.              Yellow Tunnel.

6.2.3.              Broomhill Park retaining wall.

6.2.4.              Fly tipping at docks near Beacon Centre.

 

FAB has won an award from Beautiful Scotland.

 

Outstanding Issues:

6.2.5.              Palais stairs.

6.2.6.              Manse Lane.

6.2.7.              Shipyard stairs.

6.2.8.              Children play areas.

        Equipment at Duncanson Drive has been taken away leaving a muddy mess.

6.2.9.              Bins. No problems have so far been reported with the new collection times.

6.2.10.          Seats at Castle area and Kirkton Road.

6.2.11.          Log at Kingswood Hotel left by Railway tree surgeon for over a year.

6.2.12.          Hut at Crazy Golf.

 

Other issues that were raised at the meeting:

6.2.13.          State of Cemetery.

6.2.14.          Inchview Hotel.

6.2.15.          Some flower planters still to be taken away.

 

Action: Cllr George to pursue above issues at Fife Council Ward 10 meeting.

 

7.    Burgh Buzz – Bill Kirkhope.

The initial article on BCC communications survey had been included.

 

8.        New Any Other Business.

 

8.1.            Christmas Lights.

 

Ed Pybus stated:

That the lights would be put up sometime after 12th November.

The will be put up / taken down by Kirkcaldy4All as part of the £17k allocated this year.

The broken ones will be replaced.

 

Cllr Leslie stated:

That Bill Harvey manager of Kirkcaldy4All will be responsible for lights in Kinghorn/Burntisland as well as Kirkcaldy. No money will be coming out of the Ward 10 Area budget or Common Good Fund.

The lights going up are the same as last year. A date has still to be fixed for the Christmas Tree.

 

Concerns were raised by members of BCC regarding the suitability of the lights given that last year the Fire Service had to be called out to make some safe.

 

It was reiterated by several members of BCC that the current lights are not suitable for use in Burntisland High Street.

 

8.2.   MUGA Sports:

 

Cllr Leslie indicated that originally it was intended to have a MUGA near the Beacon

and an All Weather (60x40) Football Pitch on the Roadhouse site.

Funding is difficult so the pitch size was changed to 40 x40.

It’s now possible that there may only be a MUGA.

However the situation is fluid with talks going on with Sports Scotland about a 60x40.

There may be knock on effects with parking.

No dates have been confirmed as yet.

 

The MUGA would be open all the time and free of charge.

The All Weather Football Pitch would be managed by the Beacon.

 

Bob Smith indicated that there was a meeting planned for all sports groups regarding forming a Sports Hub for Kinghorn/Burntisland on 26th November.

 

8.3.   Bonfire.

 

Christine Dewar indicated that there was a stray firework at the Railway Side that narrowly missed her grandson. Many people choose to take their cars although extra buses had been put on.

Traffic management appeared to be poor with not enough Police / Wardens attending and issues once the Beacon car park was full. Cars were parked blocking the Fire Station.

There is a wash-up meeting planned to address these issues.

 

John Russell stated that he thought the Lammerlaws’ Car Park could be Common Good Land.

Action: Cllr Leslie to query the ownership of Lammerlaws’ Car Park.

 

9.        Business Items

 

9.1.   Scots Verse Competition.

 

The Final will involve 6 awards with an awards ceremony with catering for the winners and their families. Provisionally this has been set for Friday 7th December at 7pm in the Upper Library Hall.

Bob Smith asked Ben Baron if he could get some of the teachers to attend the awards ceremony.

BCC used to be involved with the teachers in picking the winners but currently the school picks the winners. In future it would be desirable if the BCC could again become involved in selecting the winners.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to check Exxon dates.

 

9.2.   Burntisland Children’s Play Area.

 

Alex MacDonald met with Ben Barron to discuss.

The play equipment at Duncanson Drive has been condemned and removed.

 

Cllr Leslie indicated that there had been a Condition Survey done on all Fife Council Play areas.
Some of the play equipment on the Links was in very poor condition.
The Ward budget is not just for Burntisland and can’t take on all play areas.  However funding from the Ward Budget and Community Services has been found for the East Links Play area.
There is currently no funding to replace condemned play equipment anywhere else.
Any local people willing to help raise funds for play equipment should contact their elected Councillors. The £70K funding for the Links Play Area is coming from the Ward budget, Community Services and a request to the Common Good by the parent Council, who have been involved in the consultation with young people.

9.3.   Community Award 2013.

 

Nominations should be given to the secretary or any member of BCC.

The winner will be announced at Hogmanay.

 

9.4.   Sustainable Communities Initiative (SCI) – Common Good Fund Application.

 

An application was received for £488 from Burntisland Common Good Fund to help meet the £1300 cost of staging a Xmas Fair in St.Serfs Church Hall.

The accounts supplied by Fife Council showed an estimated surplus available for distribution of £17.5K. However, it’s not correct. That sum is the projected total income for the year. In addition, for reasons explained in 10.7, none of the figures in the spreadsheet can be presumed to be correct.

SCI have a surplus of £8k. Burntisland Common Good is anticipating a surplus of £12k.

SCI appear to have enough funds to support this event themselves.

It would be unfair to subsidise this Fair when other groups normally fund their own Fairs.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to write to all 3 elected councillors stating that the BCC is against Burntisland Common Good funds being used to subsidise this event.

 

10.    Ongoing Business Items

 

10.1.   Review of Local Planning Applications.

There is an application for planning permission for the brown field Geddes Mill site.

http://planning.fife.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MC17VGHFT8000

One large unit and 4 small units on the old Aluminium car park behind the old chip shop.

Zoe Williamson declared an interest and refrained from the discussion.

This is a change of use to Retail outlets which would probably be leased.

It would pick up passing trade that currently misses out the High Street.

Some of the comments were:

          Why not business / light industrial units.

          It could affect the fragile High Street shops.

          There are potential traffic issues.

          Largest unit is the size of a Tesco Metro / Lidl.

          The largest unit would probably be a family run independent retail unit intended to address the weekly shop which could possibly generate 60 jobs.

The viability of such a unit was questioned given the new Morrisons that is coming to Invertiel and that Tesco have pulled out of pursuing the old Cinema site and that the weekly shop is already well catered for in Burntisland.

 

There were two proposals:

1)      To oppose the application:                                                            5 votes.

2)      Take a neutral stance and leave to the planning process:           6 votes.

Action: A.MacDonald / Tim Hailey to write to Fife Council commenting that BCC had a neutral stance to this application.

 

10.2.   Strategic Projects Group: War Memorial/Haugh Road.

This involves 12 weeks of work.

A.MacDonald is in the process of completing an application for £3.5k to the War Memorial Trust. Fife Environmental Trust may have funds for landscaping.

The permissions are in place however the lowest tender for the War Memorial Works is out of date and will need to be re-validated at some point when we are nearer securing the Funding.

 

10.3.   Improving Communications.

Meeting on Thursday 15th November at 7pm in Heritage Centre to discuss Survey Questions and possible new web site.

 

10.4.   BCC Draft Code of Conduct and Complaints Procedure. - No progress.

 

Action: A.MacDonald / Ian McKenzie to pursue.

 

10.5.   Outline Planning Application Approval for New School on Toll Park –Portobello Ruling/PAN82.

No reply from Fife Council to Alec’s letter and email.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to escalate.

 

10.6.   Remembrance Day Parade.

Cllr George will lay the wreath for Fife Council.

Squadron leader Wallace will marshal the parade.

A Royal Navy representative will be in attendance.

Meet at the Library at 9.30 to help set up reception for 9.45 parade.

 

10.7.   Burgh Chambers Clock Tower Repair/Common Good Fund Property Review Report.

Currently being dismantled.

Iron circular hoop has been identified as corroded and causing the problem.

In a reply to a letter from A.MacDonald Fife Council has indicated:

          Cost of rebuild is still unknown.

          It is not insured for this type of defect.

          There is no reserve in the Common Good Fund for maintenance.

Fife Council has also stated that 106 High Street is not paying rent.

Rents do not appear to have been reviewed and some leases are up.

The situation is very confusing and Andrew Ferguson and Michael McArdle of Fife Council are looking at all the issues raised.

 

10.8.   Christmas Lights – Dealt with in 8.1.

 

10.9.   Parking on Links/Shows Wash-Up Meeting 30 October 2012.

Discussed:

          Parking on Links. Showmen have parking permits but these are not always on display.

          Parking at the Roundhouse.

          Possible use of Seaforth Place car park at weekends.

          The parking issue is being referred to Fife Council Transportation.

          Next years’ shows will run from 25th May to 18th August.

          Some grass cutting is done by the showmen.

          It was confirmed that no music is allowed on Sundays.

          The number of traders on Market day was 41, down from 75 the year before due to the high cost of a stall.

          There are fewer Fife Council staff available to maintain the Links.

          Fife Council wants a Links Community Trust to take over responsibility/management of the Fairground/Games Day.

This is an opportunity for a local group to get involved.

The BCC is interested in taking this forward.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to advise Fife Council of BCC interest.

 

11.    Awaiting Update

11.1.   Links Community Trust/Links Accounts – J. Russell/A.MacDonald

11.2.   Burgh Chambers Furniture – B. Smith

 

12.    Date of Next Meeting

BCC Meeting - Friday, 14 December 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Upper Library Hall.            

 

APPENDIX: 1.

 

 

APPENDIX: 2.

 

                       BURNTISLAND COMMUNITY COUNCIL

 

ENVIRONMENT ISSUES TO BE RAISED AT BCC MEETING FRIDAY 9TH NOVEMBER 2012

 

THE STAIRS LEADING FROM JAMES PARK UP TO DALLAS AVENUE REQUIRES SOME ATTENTION WEEDING AND GENERAL CLEANING UP (A JOB FOR PAY BACK TEAM)

 

MY RECENT WALK DOWN TO THE BEACON CENTRE AND SKATE PARK VIA THE YELLOW TUNNELL I FOUND THE GULLIES WERE STILL BLOCKED UP BY MUD AND THE PATHWAY LEADING TO THE BEACON CENTRE IS STILL NEEDING WEEDED AND GENERALLY CLEANED UP I AM SURE AS SOON AS IT RAINS THE TUNNELL WILL AGAIN BE FLOODED MEANING NO PEDESTRIAN ACCESS TO THE BEACON CENTRE AND SKATE PARK (WHEN WILL WE SEE THE PAYBACK TEAM COMING INTO BURNTISLAND TO GET THESE JOBS DONE)

 

I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE RETAINING WALL AT BROOMHILL PARK IS BADLY NEEDING SOME ATTENTION THE BASE OF THE WALL HAS BEEN KNOCKED AWAY AND REQUIRES REPAIRING

 

THE FAMOUS PALAIS STAIRS ARE STILL NEEDING ATTENTION THIS MATTER HAS BEEN RAISED ON NUMERIOUS OCCASSIONS WITH NO ACTION TAKEN TO DATE

 

I HAVE NOTICED FLY TIPPING IN THE DOCK AREA GROUND OPPOSITE THE BEACON CENTRE THERE IS A FRIDGE,CARPET,BOXES AND GENERAL RUBBISH ALTHOUGH I UNDERSTAND THE FC ARE AWARE OF THIS THE RUBBISH  HAS NOT BEEN CLEARED AWAY

 

FLORAL ACTION BURNTISLAND

 

A NEWLY ESTABLISHED GROUP FORMED SIX MONTHS AGO HAVE BEEN PRESENTED WITH AN AWARD FROM BEAUTIFUL SCOTLAND FOR THEIR EFFORTS IN TRYING TO ENHANCE THE FLORAL ASPECTS OF BURNTISLAND

 

THE GROUP HAVE MADE A VERY GOOD START,PLANTING AND MAINTAINING HANGING BASKETS,PLANTERS AND TROUGHS ON THE HIGH STREET AND THROUGHOUT THE TOWN, RECEIVING FUNDING

 FROM THE COUNCIL, HIGH STREET TRADERS AND LOCAL BUSINESSES IN ADDITION TO ORGANIZING COFFEE MORNINGS AND OTHER FUND RAISING ACTIVITIES

 

THE GROUP HAVE ALREADY PLANTED SPRING BULBS AROUND BURNTISLAND WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF SCOUTS AND SCHOOL CHILDREN