DRAFT

(For amendments, please see the minutes of the next meeting when available.)


BURNTISLAND COMMUNITY COUNCIL

 

FRIDAY, 12 October 2012

7 P.M.

BURGH CHAMBERS

 

Draft Minutes

 

 

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­PRESENT:               

Alex MacDonald (Chair), Bob Smith (Vice Chair),

Isabel Smith (Secretary), John Russell (Treasurer), Gordon Langlands (Minutes Secretary),

John Bruce, Gary Cummins, Christine Dewar, Tim Hailey, Zoe Williamson,

Paul Briscoe (Burgh Buzz),

Cllr Peter George.

 

ATTENDING: 10 members of the public

 

ABSENT: Ed Pybus.

 

1.    Chairman’s Opening Remarks and Apologies for Absence

     The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and informed the meeting that apologies had been received from Morag Douglas, Ian McKenzie, Neil Millsop, Cllr Susan Leslie, Sgt Ross Davidson and Bill Kirkhope.

 

2.    Minutes of Previous Meeting (14 September 2012)

     Correction to Minutes: Apologies and Planning Report had been issued from Tim Hailey.

     Minutes agreed, proposed by Christine Dewar and seconded by Bob Smith.

 

3.    Notification of Community Concerns for A.O.B.  (Item 8)

     The Chairman indicated 3 items for A.O.B.

 

4.    Police Community Meeting Report – C. Dewar/J. Bruce. See Appendix 1.

Crime Figures:

       47 recorded crimes in Auchtertool / Burntisland / Kinghorn:

       Breach of peace:        3, detected 3.

       Assault:                       8, detected 7.

       Vandalism:                  5, detected 3.

 

Next community Engagement Meeting, Wednesday 12 November, 7.30 pm, Toll Centre.

 

The Police Transition to a single body is on April 2013 at a new HQ in Tulliallan.

There are a possible 3000 redundancies amongst office/support staff.

 

5.    Secretary’s and Treasurer’s Reports

5.1.   The Secretary reported she had made contact with the Primary School, requesting confirmation of the Date for the Scots Verse Competition, once confirmed, we can then set a Date for the BCC Trophy Presentation.

5.2.   The School Admissions Consultation had been received which needs to be submitted by 1st November.

Action: Submit a Draft Response for review. – Morag Douglas.

5.3.   The Treasurer indicated The Fife Council grant had been received and the Burgh Buzz contingency reduced giving a free balance of £2,721.88. See Appendix 2.


 

6.    Environment.

6.1.   147 Kinghorn Road.

6.1.1.      On behalf of local residents Mr David Lyon expressed concerns about:

a)      Condition of ground including weeds and building material.

b)     Trench.

c)      Dumping of fridge and mattress.

d)     Right of way.

e)     Protected tree.

The residents have reported this to Fife Council asking them to enforce the existing planning conditions. Mr Lyon asked if BCC could send a letter to Fife Council in support of their concerns.

6.1.2.      The Chairman read out an email from Bob Wilkie expressing his concerns:

a)        Unable to meet with local Councillors.

b)        2 Flatted dwelling.

c)        Tree.

d)        Neighbours complaining.

e)        Unilateral works.

Bob owns the house next door and was planning to build on this site however he has now decided not to continue with the development of this site.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to write to Cllr Neil Crooks Chairman of Kirkcaldy Area Committee asking them to enforce planning conditions, resolve right of way and fix light .

Also to copy Bob Wilkie asking if he wanted to meet with Alex to discuss the situation.

 

6.2.   Environmental Report J.Bruce / Cllr Peter George. See Appendix 3.

Issues identified:

6.2.1.      Palais stairs.

6.2.2.      Manse Lane.

6.2.3.      Shipyard stairs.

6.2.4.      Children play areas.

6.2.5.      Bins.

6.2.6.      Seats at Castle area and Kirkton Road.

6.2.7.      Log at Kingswood Hotel left by Railway tree surgeon for over a year.

6.2.8.      Hut at Crazy Golf.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to email Ken Halley of Fife Council asking for inspection of Palais Stairs, Shipyard Stairs and Rossend Archway.

 

7.    Burgh Buzz – Paul Briscoe.

Deadline is Monday 15th October.

Main article is on Clock Tower.

 


8.    Any Other Business.

8.1.   3 Turbines on Tournament Hill.

Because of the Craigkelly transmitter and other Turbines projects this particular project is not being pursued.

8.2.   Flaring at Exxon Mobil will last an extra 3-4 weeks due to a leak in plant required repair.

Exxon apologise in advance for any inconvenience.

8.3.   Xmas Lights.

Ed Pybus organised them last year.

The lights were the property of BCC but replaced by current Fife Council lights with a grant from the Common Good fund to put up / take down every year (£4k/year).

Unfortunately these lights are not suitable for Burntisland High Street.

Kirkcaldy Area has set aside £22k for the whole area, £17k of which is for Kirkcaldy.

The lights need to be more robust this year.

 

Action: Cllr Peter George to get details at next Area meeting.

 

9.        New Business Items

9.1.   Outline Planning Application Approval for New School on Toll Park –Portobello Ruling.

Andrew Ferguson of Fife Council has advised that in his view, the Council do not need to go to   Court in order to get approval to build on Common Good land.

Separately, Fife Council appear not to have followed the requirements of PAN 82, which says that in the intention to grant planning consent should be notified to the Scottish Ministers, who will decide whether to become involved in decision-making. PAN 82 also says that a further opportunity should be given to the Community Council to comment to the planning authority and also to the Scottish Ministers. A letter pointing out the omission has been sent by A. MacDonald to Fife Council and a response is awaited.  

9.2.   Community Council Membership Vacancy.

There was notice of interest from Benjamin Baron and Bruce Stuart.

A vote was held by members of BCC and Bruce Stuart was invited to join the BCC.

9.3.   Remembrance Day Parade.

BCC are meeting the Friday before.

March past will be outside the Library.

Gather at the Library at 9.30am.

The Chief Fire Officer and Chief Constable will not be in attendance this year.

9.4.   Burgh Chambers Clock Tower Repair.

The BCC letter to Fife Council has been acknowledged but no response is expected before 18 October.

A.MacDonald has spoken with the Fife Council Lead Engineer Ross Tulloch.

The Heritage Centre / Council Office / Burgh Chambers will be out of action for 6 weeks

from 14th October.

There is evidence that the tower has been re-pointed several times.

A listed Grade B building work needs legal consent. As yet there is no indication of costs for rebuild.

A crane is arriving Sunday to start dismantling stones which will be numbered and stored at Markinch.

 

Action: A.MacDonald to check with Police about safety and request Fife Council for Safe Plan of Action (SPA).

9.5.   Proposed Links Play Area.

Replaces current swings with new, adventure style play features.

This has been discussed with Parent/Teacher Council. Cost £65k.

Fife Council is asking Parent/Teacher Council for a financial contribution.

The Parent/Teacher Council will in due course be applying for £5k of funds from the Common Good Fund.

 

9.6.   Floral Action Burntisland.

FAB has requested a £120 donation from BCC for the planting of 4 “baskets” at the Burgh Chamber and 2 “baskets” at the Police Station.

These are already funded by Fife Council with the baskets already belonging to BCC.

The Treasurer pointed out that FAB's income from Fife Council Floral Enhancement Grant and Sponsorship from Shopkeepers was greater than the Fife Council Grant income to the BCC. Therefore, we were not in a position to commit in excess of 10% our income to support their request for funding.

 

10.    Ongoing Business Items

10.1.   Review of Local Planning Applications.

No new applications.

Fife Council are still reviewing the planning committee structure.

Planning submissions will rely more and more on electronic submissions with a 21 day consultation period.

10.2.   Strategic Projects Group: War Memorial/Haugh Road.

There is the possibility of a £7.5k grant from the War Memorial trust.

However their advice differs from Hurd/Rolland.

10.3.   Improving Communications.

a) New Web Site by Ross Hall, who has recently updated the Burgh Buzz web site.

b) Questionnaires in Burgh Buzz, Web Site and BCC meetings.

c) Surgeries.

d) Summarised Minutes in FFP.

e) Optional profiles on Web Site.

10.4.   BCC Draft Code of Conduct and Complaints Procedure.

No progress.

Action: A.MacDonald to pursue.

10.5.   Burgh Chambers Notice board.

Not relevant for time being.

 

11.    Awaiting Update

11.1.   Links Community Trust/Links Accounts – J. Russell/A.MacDonald

11.2.   Burgh Chambers Furniture – B. Smith

11.3.   Draft Common Good Fund Property Review Report

Action: A.MacDonald to verify.

11.4.   Parking on Links/Shows Wash-Up Meeting – Meeting rescheduled for 30 October 2012

Action: A.MacDonald to make sure someone from BCC attends.  

 

12.    Date of Next Meeting

BCC Meeting - Friday, 9 November 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Upper Library Hall.   


 

APPENDIX: 1.

 


 

APPENDIX: 2.

 


 

APPENDIX: 3

 

                BURNTISLAND COMMUNITY COUNCIL

 

                ENVIRONMENT ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION AT BCC MEETING 12TH OCT 2012

1         PALACE STAIRS BADLY NEEDING WEEDED AND GENERALLY   CLEANED UP ( POSSIBLY BY PAYBACK TEAM WHEN CAN THIS BE DONE ) ( this item was raised to cllr George and chair of BCC and action will be taken to approach the appropriate department to have this attended to )

2         ROAD LEADING FROM MANCE LANE PAST THE PALACE STAIRS TREES AND BUSHES HAVE BEEN PRUNED FROM BROOMHILL BUT LEFT ON THE ROAD CAN THESE BE UPLIFTED TO KEEP AREA CLEAN AND TIDY( raised towards Cllr George and he will look at this and approach department responsible )

3         THERE ARE TEN CHILDRENS PLAY AREAS THROUGHOUT  THE TOWN WHICH CONSIST OF SWINGS,CLIMBING FRAMES,ROCKING HORSES,

4         IT HAS BEEN DRAWN TO MY ATTENTION THAT SOME OF THESE FACILITIES ARE BEING REMOVED IN PARTICULAR AT THE PLAY AREA IN MCDONALD PLACE DUE TO THEM BEING CONDEMED WILL THEY BE REPLACED AND WHEN ( councillors were made aware of this issue )

ALSO I UNDERSTAND THE SWINGS ON THE LINKS ARE BEING REMOVED WHAT ARRANGEMENTS ARE IN HAND TO REPLACE THEM

I AM CONCERNED THAT REMOVING FACILITIES FROM PLAY AREAS AND NOT REPLACING THEM WILL CERTAINLY EFFECT THE OVERALL DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDREN ESPECIALLY WHEN THE GOVERNMENT RECENTLY ANNOUNCED THE IMPORTANCE OF PLAY AREAS FOR CHILDREN WE SHOULD THEREFORE ENCOURAGE KEEPING THESE AREAS FULLY EQUIPED THROUGHOUT THE TOWN FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR YOUNGER GENERATON ( this was discussed in full and plans are on hand to re develop the Links Play area ALSO POINTING OUT THE IMPORTANCE OF THESE PLAY AREAS WHEN THEY TAKE ITEMS DOWN ENSURE THEY ARE REPLACED)

(5) WHAT IS THE CURRENT POLICY REGARDING THE REMOVAL OF THE GATES AT THE TOP OF SHIPYARD STAIRS AT ROSSEND AND ALSO THE GENERAL CLEANING UP OF THIS AREA ( Cllr George informed council that due to health and safety matters in this area the shipyard stairs will continue to be blocked off and the gates will remain meantime until this area is made safe no time scale given )

(6)  CHANGES TO THE COLLECTION AND TIMES FOR BINS TAKE EFFECT FROM MONDAY 15TH OCTOBER 12 COLLECTING FROM 6AM TILL 9PM THIS MAY RESULT IN BINS BEING LEFT OUT ON PAVEMENTS DURING THE HOURS OF DARKNESS IT IS THEREFORE VITAL THAT GREAT CARE IS TAKEN TO AVOID ANYONE FROM WALKING INTO THEM IN PARTICULAR WHERE THERE ARE FLATS AND A NUMBER OF BINS ARE LYING ON THE PAVEMENTS  ( FOR EXAMPLE LOTHIAN STREET )  (Pointed out this important matter as it will certainly effect everyone including the elderly possible having to struggle bringing their BINS IN LATER IN THE EVENING neighbourhoods should assist elderly with their BINS where possible to avoid any injury )