DRAFT

(For amendments, please see the minutes of the next meeting when available.)

 

 

BURNTISLAND COMMUNITY COUNCIL

FRIDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER 2012, 7 P.M., BURGH CHAMBERS
 

Minutes
 

 

PRESENT:               

Alex MacDonald (Chair), Bob Smith (Vice Chair),

Isabel Smith (Secretary), John Russell (Treasurer), Gordon Langlands (Minutes Secretary)

John Bruce, Christine Dewar, Morag Douglas, Ian McKenzie, Ed Pybus, Zoe Williamson,

Bill Kirkhope (Burgh Buzz),

Cllr Peter George, Cllr Susan Leslie

 

ATTENDING: 10 members of the public

 

ABSENT: Tim Hailey, Martin Macdonald

 

1.    Chairman’s Opening Remarks and Apologies for Absence

     The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and informed the meeting that apologies had been received from Gary Cummins, Neil Milsop and PS Keith Gibb.

The Chairman refused to accept an Apology from a Member of the Public for Cllr Kay.

Apologies should be communicated, either verbally or in writing by the non-attendee to the Chair or Secretary.

 

2.    Minutes of Previous Meeting (10 August 2012)

     Minutes agreed, proposed by Christine Dewar and seconded by Bob Smith.

 

3.    Notification of Community Concerns for A.O.B.  (Item 9)

     The Chairman indicated an update on Exon Mobil.

 

4.    Police Community Meeting Report – C. Dewar/J. Bruce. See Appendix 1.

For last 2 months in Auchtertool / Burntisland / Kinghorn there were:

Breach of peace:    9, detected 5.

Assault:                  9, detected 6.

Vandalism:                         9, detected 4+1.

There was a drugs raid in Lonsdale Crescent.

Beware of a dangerous alsation dog in Aberdour Road which has bitten 4 people.

The police are taking action.

 

Major Concern is that there are only 3 Community Constables available and not at the same time.

Action: Cllr Leslie to speak with Chief Inspector.

 

5.    Presentation - The Fife Elderly Forum Executive.

Fiona Clark described how The Elderly Forum are targeting Community Councils and Community Centres encouraging activities for over 65s including things like lunch clubs, transport, befriending especially in the summer months when things are closed.

Their website is: http://www.fife-elderly.org.uk/.

Email: [removed from online version]

Telephone: 01592 645743.

 

6.    Secretary’s and Treasurer’s Reports

6.1.   The Secretary reported that a School Admissions Consultation had been received which needs to be submitted by 1st November.

Action: Submit a Draft Response at the next meeting for review. – Morag Douglas.

 

6.2.   The Treasurer indicated a free balance of £161.51. See Appendix 2.

 

7.    Environment – J. Bruce. See Appendix 3.

7.1.   Footpath to the Binn Repair Work

Cllr Leslie reported that the path had been moved slightly.

A new stile installed, the old stile needs removed.

7.2.  Building at East End of Links – On going.

Cllr George reported that there was the possibility of asbestos which had to be checked prior to demolition.

7.3.  Beach Clean-Up/Benches Refurbishment – Done.

However there was a complaint about dogs on the beach.

This threatens the Blue Flag status.

No dogs are allowed May – Sept.

Action: Cllr Leslie was asked to bring up this concern with Council Officials.

7.4.  Timing of Clean-Up Team/Bird Proofing Bins.

Cllr P. George reported new bins were in place.

7.5.  New issues identified

7.5.1.      147, Kinghorn Road

7.5.2.      Flooding of tunnel to Beacon Centre

7.5.3.      Public Toilets at East End of Links.

7.5.4.      Broom Hill Viewpoint.

7.5.5.      Kirkton Burn

7.5.6.      Livingston Drive

Action: Cllrs George, Kay, Leslie.

 

8.    Burgh Buzz – B. Kirkhope

Bill Kirkhope indicated for a colour issue of the Buzz the cost was £1400 and that the contingency could be reduced to £500.

 

9.    Any Other Business – Exon Mobil

9.1.   Pantomime – Aladdin at Lochgelly Centre, 5th or 6th December – 70 seats available,

9.2.   Burns Lunch – on one of 15/16/17th January.

 

10.    New Business Item

10.1.   BCC Response to the Outline Planning Application Approval for New School on Toll Park.

          I. McKenzie led a frank and open discussion about local democracy and lessons learned. There appears to be a fundamental flaw in the consultation process, as a result of which the clear majority view of local people was not reflected in the eventual decisions by local elected members of Fife Council or by Fife Council generally. The Chairman indicated that he hoped the communications initiative of 11.3 might go some way to resolving this type of issue in the future. He also indicated that Fife Council may have to go to the Court of Session to get approval to alienate the Toll Park.

          Action: Write to FC for clarification in light of Court of Session decision that ECC illegally alienated Portobello Park to build a new High School on.  – A.MacDonald

 

10.2.   BCC Draft Code of Conduct and Complaints Procedure.

Ian McKenzie proposed:

10.2.1.      Members must attempt to resolve complaints "in house" before going public with their viewpoint.

10.2.2.      If a complaint is raised, the chairman should have it addressed as soon as possible by a private meeting of all Council members.

10.2.3.      If members are dissatisfied with the resolution of their complaint, they are free to make their views public. However, they should make clear that any views expressed are their own. They should also express       their view point in a clear and courteous manner.  If they plan to use social media e.g. Facebook, they should ensure that they comment in a manner that would be acceptable for newspaper publication.

After some discussion a concern was raised that there was no sanction should a BCC councillor not follow the procedure.

Action: Review again before next BCC meeting, - I.McKenzie / A MacDonald

 

10.3.   Community Council Membership Resignation/Vacancy.

The Chairman read out the resignation of Martin Macdonald.

There are 2 members of the public actively interested in joining the BCC.

Action: Advertise this vacancy through minutes of this meeting and follow up at the next meeting.

 

10.4.   Burgh Chambers Noticeboard

J. Russell indicated this was falling apart.

Action: Contact Ken Halley – A.MacDonald.

 

10.5.   Remembrance Day Parade – J. Russell

Organisation started.

Note: Community Councillors are encouraged to attend this, the Community Award, Scots Verse and Exiles reception.

 

10.6.   Burgh Chambers Clock Tower Repair

The Ward Cllrs issued a joint statement (See Appendix 4) on the condition of Clock Tower/Spire stating it needs to be dismantled at the beginning of October to be reconstructed sometime in the future.

Action: Write to FC seeking clarification. – A.MacDonald.

Action: Ask at full council meeting for time frame of dismantling/reconstruction. – Cllr George

 

11.    Ongoing Business Items

11.1.   Review of Local Planning Applications – T. Hailey no update.

 

11.2.   Strategic Projects Group: War Memorial/Haugh Road

Action: Application being submitted to Fife Enterprise Trust – A. MacDonald

 

11.3.   Improving Communications.

A separate meeting of the Communications group was held. See Appendix 5.

This was discussed at length.

The role of the Burgh Buzz needs to be included.

Action: The Communications group is to meet again on Monday 17th, 7.30 at Heritage Centre

to take into account feedback from this meeting and report back with final recommendations to

next BCC meeting.

 

11.4.   Parking on Links/Shows Wash-Up Meeting – ongoing Cllr S. Leslie

 

12.    Awaiting Update

12.1.   Clock Chimes. See 10.6.

Delete item from next Agenda.

 

12.2.   Links Community Trust/Links Accounts – J. Russell/A.MacDonald

 

12.3.   Burgh Chambers Furniture – B. Smith

 

12.4.   Draft Common Good Fund Property Review Report

Action: A.MacDonald to verify.

 

12.5.   Access to Rossend Castle and relocation of Antiquities.

Castle has been taken of market.

Delete item from next Agenda.

 

13.    Date of Next Meeting

B.C.C. Meeting - Friday, 12 October 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Burgh Chambers   

 

 


 

APPENDIX: 1.

 

COMMUNITY POLICE MEETING

TOLL CENTRE BURNTISLAND WEDNESDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER 2012

 

ATTENDED

 

PC KEITH GIBB

COUNCILOR SUSAN LESLIE

CHRISTINE DEWAR BCC

JOHN BRUCE  BCC

W KIRKHOPE

OTHER

 

P C GIBB REPORTED THAT THERE ARE ONLY THREE COMMUNITY POLICE CONSTABLES COVERING BURNTISLAND BUT NOT AT ALL TIMES THIS NEWS WAS CONCERNING AND THE ATTENDEES INDICATED THAT WE IN BURNTISLAND NEEDED TO HAVE MORE POLICE PRESENCE AS THIS DETERS CRIME AND GIVES MORE CONFIDENCE TO THE COMMUNITY ON THE WHOLE THAT POLICE ARE AVAIBLE WHEN AND IF REQUIRED

COUNCILLOR LESLIE TOOK NOTE AND STATED SHE WOULD ENDEAVOUR TO SPEAK TO CHIEF INSPECTOR IN KIRKCALDY ABOUT OUR CONCERNS AND WOULD REPORT BACK

 

WE ALSO DREW TO THE ATTENTION OF THE POLICE OUR CONCERN REGARDING CONSTANT IRREGULAR PARKING ON HIGH STREET AT TIMES CARS PARKED ON PAVEMENTS AND ALONG DOUBLE YELLOW LINES WHICH CAUSES OBSTRUCTIONS NOT ONLY TO OTHER MOTORISTS BUT TO PEDESTRIANS

 

THEY ARE AWARE OF THESE ISSUES AND WHEN THEY ARE ABOUT WILL ISSUE PARKING TICKETS TO ANY OFFENDERS AND WILL BE KEEPING A CLOSE WATCH  IN THE FUTURE        

 

POLICE ACTIONS AND REPORTS OVER THE LAST TWO MONTHS WHICH COVERS BURNTISLAND,KINGHORN, AUCHTERTOOL

 

BREACH OF THE PEACE 9 REPORTED 5 DETECTED AND WARNINGS ISSUED

 

ASSAULTS   9 REPORTED   6 DETECTED LINES OF ENQUIRIES CONTINUEING

 

VANDALISUM 9 REPORTED 4 DETECTED PLUS 1 WHICH WILL BE RESOLVED SOON

 

DRUG ISSUES ARE A CONCERN IN THE TOWN AND THE POLICE ARE EXTREMELY ACTIVE WITH RAIDS BEING CARRIED OUT RECENTLY WITH SOME SUCCESS IN PREMISES WITHIN THE TOWN

 

JUST LEARNED TO-DAY THAT YET AN OTHER SUCCESSFUL RAID IN THE TOWN PROVES THAT THE POLICE ARE REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS SORT OF CRIME

 

 

NEXT POLICE CUMMUNITY MEETING WEDNESDAY 14TH NOVEMBER 2012

 

TOLL CENTRE BURTNISLAND 7.30PM

 


 

APPENDIX: 2.

 

 


 

APPENDIX: 3

 

BURNTISLAND COMMUNITY COUNCIL                    

ENVIRONMENT ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION AT BCC MEETING 14TH SEPT 2012

 

 

What is the current position relating to the hut at the crazy golf entrance it is falling into disrepair and becoming a danger to the community when will this be demolished ( councillor Leslie and George informed us that this building will be demolished )

  

 

I wish to bring your attention to the area outside the jubilee hotel at the Kirkton Burn for safety reasons there should be a higher fence erected to avoid people from entering

this area where the burn runs through to geddes mill in particular this could be a danger to children if they ever gain access to this area  ( seek advise who is responsible for this land and entrance )

 

 Walking up the lane leading from the Toll Centre on to Livingston this lane requires some weeding  and a clean up also noticed at the end of Livingstone drive there are overhanging trees which are causing obstruction of view for drivers leaving and entering Livingston Drive some attention required ( councillor George is aware of these issues and will address them direct to Fife Council)

 

I have had a report from resident at 21 Meadowfield Burntisland that pigeons are gaining entrance through the roof of her house and making a real mess and annoying the occupant has reported this matter to the council and someone did come out to see them but stated that they do not deal with pigeon complaints and left without any action taken occupant now wants to know who is responsible for these matters as it is council owned property ( councillor George is aware and will endeavour to establish who we should approach to resolve this matter)

 

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS Who are responsible for the funding of these lights is it the FIFE COUNCIL LOCALITY FUND or BURNTISLAND COMMEN GOOD FUND ( this was not discussed during this meeting we will raise this matter at next council meeting under any other business)


 

APPENDIX: 4

 

Burntisland Burgh Chambers

 

Statement on Condition of Clock Tower/Spire

 

The most recent routine inspection of the clock tower at Burntisland Burgh Chambers

showed some cracks which were felt worthy of further inspection. As a result,

scaffolding was erected and further inspection work was undertaken by conservation

specialists as well as Fife Council staff. This showed problems with weathering,

cracking and open joints, to the faces of the sandstone tower. As the tower is

relatively thin in these areas, the only way to remedy the problems will be to remove

the affected stone. This will mean dismantling the tower down to the level of sound

masonry - just below the faces of the clocks. This requirement has been verified by

independent experts.

 

There are concerns that severe weather will result in further damage. As a

consequence, Fife Council is making arrangements for the dismantling of the tower

to be carried out in the next few months, with the aim that the works will be complete

before the winter.

 

All works will be carried out, under the supervision of conservation specialists, and in

accordance with best practice in the conservation and repair of historic masonry

structures. The tower will be temporarily weatherproofed, whilst plans are made for

its reconstruction. As much of the original sandstone as possible will be stored and

reused. The building dates from 1843 and is category B listed. Prior to dismantling

works commencing, surveys will be carried out, with each stone catalogued. lt is

hoped that works will start on site at the beginning of October. The Property

Services Senior Manager has confirmed that reconstruction of the tower will begin as

quickly as is reasonably possible.


 

APPENDIX: 5

 

Burntisland Community Council (BCC) – Communications subgroup meeting

In attendance; Morag Douglas, Zoe Williamson, Alex MacDonald, Neil Millsop, Gary Cummins

 

Tuesday 21 August 2010

An informal meeting was held at the Heritage Centre to discuss BCC communication issues, the points below summarise the meeting outcomes and are for further discussion.

 

BCC website:
Following Ed Pybus’ request to cease managing the BCC website. Morag will try to source another person with suitable skills willing to take this task over. Neil will contact potential hosting companies. Ed will facilitate handover.

Disagreements within BCC:

Alex will enquire within Fife Council and try to find out if a mediator or mediation process is available for BCC issues without BCC undertaking a formal complaint procedure.

Public questionnaire:

The subgroup suggest that a questionnaire is prepared and delivered to the whole town. The purpose is that we should be stating that we wish to do a Public Survey about BCC engagement with the town community and community issues (or similar).The subgroup suggest creating a comprehensive but succinct survey (no more than a side of A4 6 questions or so). The issue of the school would be one of the questions but we would be seeking to ask the community about a broader range of issues. It is hoped that this will help to help develop the reputation of BCC and ensure we are actively seeking views of the town regarding what we should/could be representing the town on, and work towards rebuilding trust and generally better relationship building. This might include range of agenda items, issues covered by BCC, methods of communication etc.

The subgroup acknowledge that this is something that may require some investment to get right and produce as a system that we can replicate each year (once or twice a year re Community Concerns. Alex will propose around five questions for inclusion in the questionnaire. Alex suggests that the subgroup continue to lead on the questionnaire issue.

Surgery sessions:

Morag proposes hosting BCC surgery sessions. One session could be held each month at a location such as the Heritage Centre two weeks prior to formal CC meetings.

If enough BCC members agree to take part members would take turns to cover daytime and evening surgery periods. The purpose of these sessions would be to create an accessible community council session.

Coffee mornings:
In order to engage and be seen to be engaging with the community more frequently Morag suggests members of BCC attend (in a formal BCC capacity) a number of the town’s many coffee mornings hosted by various groups. 

Town diary:
GC suggests a town diary element is included within BCC website with summary points of events/functions listed. ZW will include a note on the BCC website asking for contributions to the town 'what’s on' list.

Community Council meeting sessions:
(A) Streamlining issues on the meeting agenda in order to try to reduce the amount of non-actionable items on each evenings agenda and make meeting more relevant to the general public. It is suggested that agenda items such as environment be raised with Cllrs, and a written report could be included/added to minutes or Agenda. Only items for discussion are where there has been no progress??  The reason for this suggestion is that at present the points raised are just a bullet summary of issues that then get talked about in unnecessary depth over which BCC has very little control. 

(B) Including announcements at Community Council meetings. Consider having a town announcement section within each meeting agenda. Invite groups within the town to announce any upcoming events, provide information re latest activities, actions or news or briefly report back to BCC for inclusion or speak at pre-planned sessions.

Youth engagement:
ZW suggests inviting pupils from Primary School, local secondary schools and pupil council members to contribute to CC sessions, possibly via attendance at a surgery session should these commence.

Twitter:
ZW suggests opening a BCC twitter account and occasionally tweeting items that are relevant to the town. Neil will consider exploring a Twitter feed for BCC meetings.

Meeting minutes in FFP:

MD will summarise BCC meeting minutes and forward these to the Fife Free Press for publication.

CC member responses to public social media forums and similar:

Establish a policy within BCC to formalise the responsibility of BCC members who wish to comment on issues that may be relevant to the BCC. The sub group suggests any response by an individual member of BCC (which is not a formal response on behalf of BCC) should be prefixed with a statement such as ’Although a member of Burntisland Community Council this opinion is entirely my own and does not reflect Burntisland Community Council’s opinion or policy’.

Public engagement:

ZW requests that, as agreed at previous BCC meetings all members are to submit a brief bio and photo to create a profile of all Community Councillors for website / facebook and noticeboard 150 words maximum length please.