Notes by Keddie Law
This is an interesting hand-tinted photo. It pre-dates the completion of the building of the Erskine U.F. Church (1903). The railway embankment is not clear, although there must have been a line here from Burntisland to Dundee. The fishing village in the foreground occupies the site of the promenade that later led to the Lammerlaws on the seaward side of the bathing pool. In the 1950s the road to the Lammerlaws, which crossed over the railway line to the sidings, ran on the other side of the buildings shown here and for a while there were fishermen's huts alongside it, with occasional sheds for smoking fish. Note the mysterious cannon in the bottom left of the picture.