Notes by Keddie Law
At the time of this photo bauxite was being transferred by shallow-draught vessels (the two barges in the photo) into the docks, since the ore-carrying vessels were too large to be accommodated in Burntisland docks. The bauxite was transferred by lorry to the British Aluminium factory (later Alcan), a task long done by railway wagons but discontinued due to the high cost.
Other notable landmarks:
A - British Aluminium factory (later Alcan). Opened in 1917, closed in 2002 and subsequently demolished.
B - Rossend Castle. Dates from 12th century, built by the abbots of Dunfermline. In 1970 this historic, though by now roofless, building was saved from demolition.
C - Burntisland railway station. The first rail ferry in the world operated in 1850 between Burntisland and Granton. The ill-fated train which was lost in the Tay Bridge disaster of 28 December 1879 was the 5.20 p.m. Burntisland to Dundee which had connected with the Granton ferry. The Forth Bridge was opened in 1890.
D - Burntisland to Granton vehicular ferry left from this quay before ceasing operations in the early 1950s.
E - Burntisland Parish Church. Built between 1592 and 1594. In 1601 a meeting of the Church of Scotland's General Assembly took the decision to proceed with a new translation of the Bible, known as the King James or Authorised version.
F - Site of Burntisland Shipyard. Founded in 1918 and closed in 1969.