Site navigation -
please use menu on left (click here to display
it if not visible). If problems, use site map.
This section of the site contains historical
material which is not covered by the other items on the main menu.
A brief note on Burntisland's economy over the years. (Also see
'Burntisland in the 1790s and in the 1830s' below.)
The War Memorial
Images of Burntisland's War Memorial, with the names of all those who
fell in the World Wars of 1914-18 and 1939-45.
War graves in Burntisland Cemetery
external link takes you to photographs of the headstones in Burntisland
Cemetery in Kinghorn Road which include deaths related to the two World
Wars. Additional information about the people who died is also given.
Please note that 71 headstones are included, spread over five pages.
They include 75 war-related deaths, not all of which feature on
Burntisland's War Memorial. The photographs and information have been
provided by Burntisland historian John Burnett.
Place: the Rail Ferries and the Buildings
A description of the the area which was a national transport hub for
many years: includes the railway station, Forth Hotel and Downie's
Detailed Information on James Park, the Lochies, and the Sugar House near the Harbour; and index of other deeds
By Gill Paterson.
The centenary of Burntisland's Public Library, which was opened by
Andew Carnegie on 18 September 1907.
Directory of 1862
Contains a brief description of the town, and 283 directory entries
grouped by trade, profession, etc.
The Green Tree
A striking and evocative painting of the west end of the High Street by
A remarkable cartoon created at the Alcan
Chemicals (then British Aluminium) plant during the
Second World War and depicting the production process.
|The Palais de Danse,
How the Palais was promoting itself in the 1920s.
A transcription of the chapter on Burntisland from the 'Statistical
Account of Scotland' of 1791-1799. Full details of this, and of the later Statistical Account of 1845, can be found on Edinburgh University's Edina website.
An image of a 1914 painting of the cottage at Starleyburn, with notes
by Charlie Kilgour.
The reminiscences of Mrs Janet Leven, who was the daughter of the Rev
James Wemyss (Minister of Burntisland Parish Church from 1779 for over
40 years) and a cousin of Mary Somerville.
Webpage by Iain Sommerville;
on bookmarking this page.